Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sickle Cell Pain

####################
Let’s finally talk about pain. I’ve avoided the subject because I wanted to stay upbeat and positive. But, the more I write and talk about Sickle Cell Disease, the more I see the need to discuss pain.

How does Sickle Cell pain feel you ask yourself? Well, I’ll tell you a few examples of the types of pain that I have personally felt during my life’s journey with Sickle Cell Disease.

1. Stabbing pain like a knife is pressing into my bones (sharp and thrusting).
2. Throbbing pain like a motor is running and it’s drilling pain through my body.
3. Quick burst of pain like a lightening bolt shocks electricity through me.
4. Slow, nagging pain that hangs around all day and night continuously tapping at my joints and bones.
5. Bloated, swollen pain like a ball is sitting on my spleen tender to any and all touch.
6. Headache/eyeache pain like a migraine that comes and goes whenever it pleases.
7. Sickle Cell “crisis” pain is like everything described above all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment