Friday, August 29, 2008

What is Avascular Necrosis?


Avascular Necrosis is one of many complications of Sickle Cell Disease. This condition is a result of temporary or permanent loss of blood supply to bones. Without blood, bone tissue dies and causes the bone to collapse. If dead bone tissue is near a joint (hip or knee), the joint may also collapse.

Is this painful? YES

I was diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis (also known as Osteonecrosis) in 1992. After having multiple Sickle Cell "crisis" in my legs, the lack of blood supply to my hip joints over-time caused Avascular Necrosis in both my hips. The cartilage has also decayed causing bone-on-bone exposure. When I walk, sometimes I hear a crunching sound from joint and bone rubbing against each other. The only long-term treatment for this condition is hip replacement.

A few years later, I was also diagnosed with Avascular Necrosis in my right knee which also causes joint pain and swelling. The eventual treatment for this condition is a knee replacement.

Am I afraid? NO

I have found herbs and vitamins that strengthen bones, help with pain, reduce swelling, and have given me some relief (and postponed the hip and knee replacement).

NOTE: I drink LOTS OF WATER everyday and I don't take any of these items everyday. I alternate them and sometimes I rest my system and don't take anything at all. Everything in moderation!!!!!!

Here's what I take:

Osteo Renew - for bone strengthening
Women's Ultra Mega - for bone health
any Multi-vitamin - any brand for vitamins A-zinc
any Antioxidant (with Green Tea, Grape Seed and Pine Bark) - to keep infection down.
Folic Acid - for blood
B-12 - for blood
Maxi-Minerals - for extra minerals needed for bone health
MSM - for joint and cartilage health
Garlic - for overall infection reduction
Iron - for blood
Cod Liver Oil - for vitamins A & D and joint lubrication
Flax Seed Oil - for overall health and joint lubrication
Arnica massage oil - to massage on knee and hip joints for pain
Yogi Joint Comfort Tea - drink tea to help relieve pain (It works!)
Echinacea/Golden Seal Tea - drink for immune health (helps cold/flu)

It's 2008, I'm not dancing anymore, but I'm still walking and still thankful for no titanuim replacements in my bones. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. There are some scientific reasons to think that the foods you eat could affect certain kinds of arthritis. Best Fiber supplements

    ReplyDelete